Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My first trip to Walgreens

After reading about many of you girls amazing adventures at Walgreens, I decided to give it a try. Before attempting to shop, I talked multiple times with Jenica. Thanks to her great advice and knowledge, my first trip went pretty well.
My main goal, shop, save, spend no more then one hour and buy things that I really would use. Edward and I entered with our coupons, folder, and calculator. We also went in with some trepidation and worry. Its always a little hard going into a new store not knowing where everything is situated.
I first found the little booklet with coupons and rebates. I scrolled through it and found what I needed. We then slowly and cautiously went through each isle in search of all the items we had planned to buy. After finding each item, we headed to the check-out. Edward apparently was so bored he fell asleep, thank goodness. I purposely waited for a few customers to check-out. Once I thought it was safe and quiet, I went to the only cashier. The total was $60 something. I handed over the coupons hoping that I had followed their directions and that none were too outdated. Of course, by now there were multiple shoppers waiting behind me, ahhh the stress. Anyways, after just a couple questions and confirmations of products, the cashier gave me my grand total of $27.45. Wow!!! I grabbed my bags and hurried out of the store thinking that just maybe the owner would come and tell me that something wasn't right with the total or something.
Once I safely got into the car, I looked over my receipt and realized that i'd saved $41.15. I also had $5.00 to spend for my next purchase. Now I realize, some of you shop and leave the store with money in your pockets. Maybe one day that will be me. For now, I was pleased to know that I had accomplished my goals and actually saved a LOT more then I had anticipated. I now look forward to my next trip to Walgreens.
One of the deals I found was the Air Wick Freshmatic Kit. The mini was $9.99. Walgreens had a $4 coupon and I had a $3 Manu. coupon. Which means it was only $3 bucks.
Please keep the suggestions and ideas coming. I can definitely use the help.

7 comments:

Shawna said...

Great job Kari! :)
I don't think my first trip was nearly so smooth. Kudos for the sleeping baby. That is even harder to pull of than the deals.

Rachel said...

Way to go!!!!

I could never pull it off with kids, I don't think. That's great! I think you did a good job for your first trip...and it does take a few months to start paying off. You'll see...by October, you'll be buying things there and hardly spending anything! It's an awesome store!

jenica said...

Yes, you did good! MUCH better than I did my first time (the memory is still haunting).

You will definitely become more familiar with the store, rebates and how it all works with time.

Ruth said...

Great job Kari! It is intimidating, especially with a little baby, but sounds like you did great!

Christina said...

Hmmm...too bad Walgreens doesn't sell houses. Do you have to sign up for some sort of Walgreens discount card or savings club or something like that in order to take full advantage of the savings?

Michelle said...

Yeah for Walgreens and for your getting such a great deal! It was so good to talk to you yesterday!

voni said...

Way to go Kari!!!!!! Try target too. I always get awesome there with the store coupons. Jenica can show you where to get the coupons in the store and you can also print them off at home from Target.com.