Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I have a bad attitude

Since moving to Iowa, we are learning about many new and different laws that we didn't deal with in AR. Last night I was driving with my sis Abby and we were pulled over by a cop. I was driving the limit, had my seat belt on, and was driving in the lines. We came to find out that my front windows were too darkly tinted. Apparently they registered at 20% VLT. As many of you in Iowa know, you can only have 70% or more. This amount is pretty much direct sunlight. The cop went on to inform me that many cops have been shot at b/c they couldn't see through the front window. Why don't they enforce removal of all tinted windows. It doesn't make sense to only remove the tint from the front windows. Oh well, I must now abide by Iowa's laws. I now have approx. 48 hours to remove the tint from my two front windows, or else. Apparently I can either use lighter fluid or soap and water to remove them. Hum, big decision. Well, I'm sorry if this sounds a little bitter... I guess I am ever so slightly. Thankfully I didn't pay for the tint in the first place. Also, I am thankful that I wasn't issued a $80 citation.


Iowa Window Tint Law

Iowa Tint Law Enacted: 1983
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN IOWA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Iowa, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

8 comments:

April said...

I wouldn't be too happy either if that happened to me.

Eryn said...

i have actually heard of this law, from a boyfriend a loooong time ago from iowa. it didnt make sense to me then either.

Kari said...

What's crazy is that i've lived here all but seven years of my life and i'd never heard about it until now. I guess they are enforcing it more then ever.

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's kinda funny :)

Michelle said...

:) Im sorry Kari...how did you end up fixing it??

HopiQ said...

Welcome to blogging! I'm so glad you are here! Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures. Edward is precious.

Mrs.A said...

They must allow more tinting in southern states because they have more direct sun rays than we do way up here in the north country?

jenica said...

You started to tell me this story, but we must have got interupted... (can you imagine?)

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago! I had no idea it was a law. I got the $80 fine. I even went to court, then gave up. =) I was so mad!

We bought our Exped. in CO where they don't have those laws. If you get your windows tinted in IA they won't tint the front windows.

We still haven't removed the tint from our windows, guess we should soon.