Friday, October 5, 2007

Encouragement

Have any of you had a discouraging day and then something happened that turned things around?!
I had one the other day.
It all began when John and I went for a little shopping to the local mall in Des Moines. As many of you know, I had Edward six months ago. Thus, things just don't seem to fit as well as they once did. I tend to feel frumpy and just ugh most of the time. Due to pregnancy, I held off from buying anything new, (that wasn't maternity). Well, there was the occasional high necked, long length shirt. Otherwise, i've been living with my old wardrobe that shockingly holds some items from Jr. High, ahhh.
Anyways, back to my shopping day. It went horribly... for me. I didn't find one thing and honestly, I mainly only looked for Edward and John.
Moving on, I got home that night and opened the mail. In a large envelope with a New York, New York address was a $50.00 gift card for Steve and Barry's. I couldn't believe it! John probably thought I was a crazy woman due to my reaction. Anyhow, I was ecstatic. Guilt free shopping for myself, yeah.
If you want to know how I got it, I had watched Rachael Ray one day and she had given the audience one and offered the same to some "lucky viewers." I just happened to be one.
More then anything, I thank the Lord for knowing my sad heart and giving me a special reminder of his continual love and care. It didn't have to be a monetary item though, He always knows how to encourage each one of us. A lot of times its the small things that really mean the most.
So, in accordance with what Michelle and Grace have mentioned in their recent blogs, GREAT IS HIS FAITHFULNESS!!!

10 comments:

Eryn said...

wow! cool! i have never heard of the store, but it must be a good one, right? anyway, free clothes is free clothes.
i love how the lord lets us have the "little" things that we think are important to make us happy.

Ruth said...

Yeah! How fun! Do you guys have one of those near you? We have one in Wichita that I plan on going to before we leave town.
The after pregnancy body leaves much to be desired for me too. Even though I have lost all my weight I still don't look or feel the same...maybe I need to start exercising :(
I am glad the Lord gave you a blessing like that.

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kari said...

We actually don't have one in Des Moines yet. However, according to the Steve and Barry's website, they are planning on opening one here soon. There are a few scattered around Iowa here and there. Its weird that you can't order anything online.
Did you buy any of Sarah Jessica Parkers line?

Mom To B and W said...

Hi Kari! Edward is adorable! I also saw his picture as the future ring bearer to be on Katy's site, too precious.
Before I had a baby and even while I was pregnant, I remember hearing some moms say, "I don't care that my body is not quite the same because it was worth it to have kids/ I'm a mom now". I remember thinking, "Yah, right. I will never feel that way, and you are just saying that to make yourself feel better." (I know I am coming across as a bit mean!:)
And now I'll write this before I change my mind: A year later I think I am finally embracing that thought. I also lost my all my weight, but it's just not quite the same! And for today I am okay with that. :)
How fun though to have won that gift certificate. Happy shopping.

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing that, Kari. I know just what you mean about pregnancy body issues... the Lord is good to encourage us in our seemingly *small* troubles. I'm so glad you immediately gave the credit to the Lord! What a testimony! He DOES care and does supply our needs, even emotional ones. :)

Love you, honey! Hope you enjoy your free clothes!

Rachel C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel C said...

Kari, my motto was nine months on-nine months off and it happened but as the others said your body still won't be the same. It is so worth it though when your little one loves you unconditonally. I do understand though and am so glad the Lord provided such encouragement for you.

Michelle said...

Yeah! Im so glad you got that. Its funny reading your post knowing that you rarely spend money on clothes for yourself...I remember when you guys lived here and we would go shopping. You always made a beeline for the sale racks. One time you wouldn't buy a shirt because it was $15 instead of $10...remember that?:)

jenica said...

That's exciting! And, no, I'm not surprised you won that gift card. =) I should start using your name for sweepstakes.

Have fun shopping!